Code of Ethics and Conduct
The Association of International Medical Insurance Providers (AIMIP) encourages the highest professional and ethical standards in the international medical insurance industry.
Members of the Association agree to meet these standards and to maintain the reputation of AIMIP by following this code of Ethics and Conduct (the Code). It sets down the principles which all AIMIP Members should follow in the course of their professional and corporate duties.
The key values which set the standards for all AIMIP Members are:
- Complying with all relevant laws and meeting the requirements of all applicable regulatory authorities, codes of practice and codes of conduct within their country of origin.
- Demonstrating professional competence and due care, skill and diligence whilst completing their duties.
- Upholding professional standards in all dealings and relationships.
- Respecting the confidentiality of information.
- Applying objectivity in making professional judgements and in giving opinions and statements; not allowing prejudice, bias or the influence of others to override objectivity.
A Member operating in a professional capacity has duties arising from these key values, to a number of different groups.Within these relationships a Member should always act ethically and their behaviour and conduct should meet with the following principles:
Relationship with Clients
Members shall seek to earn and maintain the trust of their clients at all times and should:
- Give fair and proper consideration and the appropriate priority to the interests and requirements of all clients. Obtain and provide all necessary documentation and respect the confidentiality of information.
- Act within the limits of authorisation as specified by the relevant bodies as applicable.
- Act in a financially honest and prudent manner, including ensuring the protection of any money held on behalf of clients.
- Be honest and trustworthy with clients and communicate with them in a clear, prompt, appropriate and polite manner.
Relationship with Regulators and the Law
Members must respect all Laws and Regulations relevant to their country of origin that affect their business and must:
- Ensure they operate within the Law and within the spirit of the Law at all times.
- Ensure they deal with regulators in an open, transparent and co-operative manner and meet any requirements that may be correctly made of them.
Relationship with the Industry
Members should recognise the important wider role that they play as professionals within the industry and should:
- Seek to advance the reputation of the international medical insurance industry through their own conduct.
- Act in an ethical and socially responsible manner when dealing with others within the industry.
- Strive to be trusted and fulfil their responsibilities to the industry.
Relationship with AIMIP
Members also have responsibilities to the Association and its Members. They should:
- Ensure a transparent relationship with the Association based on trust, respect, responsibility and integrity.
- Aim to seek opportunities to support the work of the Association and to promote its values to others.
- Treat AIMIP officers, other Members and AIMIP employees with the same respect they would wish to be given.
- Ensure that their membership of the Association is not used in any way to suggest that they hold a professional qualification which they are not entitled to.
- Ensure that any conduct, promotion or public announcement to which they or their name are connected does not bring the Association, or another Member, or their profession into disrepute.
- Advise the Association of any members who are not following its rules or this Code and advise AIMIP of anyone wrongly representing themselves as a Member.
- Aim to ensure that the expected standard of technical competence is maintained and that they are always informed of current developments, in order to ensure that they remain competent to carry out their role, by undertaking appropriate professional development.